The Art Behind Designer






I found this quote in a book I was reading, saying "Fashion is quick; Style is forever". I have never heard anything more true. Fashion and the world of it is fast-paced, always changing. Style is expression, it is art, it is personal. The one thing that I have learned over the years is designer fashion and runway are meant to be appreciated for being outside of the "norm". They are like music, paintings; they are creations and they are create based on their style. Each designer has a signature they are know for. They have established an expectation for others to follow, yet still keep a balance of the unexpected.

A lot of my friends who are not into the world of fashion like I am, think that designer is pointless and unrealistic. I love a good bargain as much as the next person, but I love the beautiful, unique aspect that comes with designer, what I try to tell people who may not "understand" is that it is walking art. People are able to go look at art in museums all across the world, clothes are no different. When the C.A.M.P exhibit came to the MET gala, I was almost brought to tears in awe. Those ensembles were thoughtfully put together by designers trying to convey a message. I remember this past summer when I was living in New York, I quickly learned that anything worth value comes with a price, both literal and metaphorical. Luxury goods are the ultimate retail therapy and there is an underlining sense of pride that comes with paying for an authentic designer pieces by yourself. It is unmatched seeing all of the fake pieces being sold on the side of the street and walking past them knowing that you have the real thing.

Designer clothes also allow people to stand out beyond the trends. Trends are for everyone; couture is individual. Watching red carpet shows, reading magazines, and following social media broadcasts, one can only dream of achieving that status of individual style and beauty. Watching the hard work of these accredited designers allow regular people like me to get lost in a world of  fabric samples and mixed-metals accessories. With that being said, I have decided to share with you all some of my favorite designers of all time.

1. Alexander McQueen
This man is truly ICONIC. He is one of the first designers I learned about in my fashion classes in college and I was blown away. He encompasses the concept of  walking art. If you look at any of the footage from his fashion shows, they are all following from a set theme. Although he had a tragically sad death and a troubled life, the darkness he shows within each of his pieces is incredible. He finds a balance of showing the beauty behind the darkness and channeled the pain he was feeling in his life into his clothing. When I was in high school, I would probably never go near his pieces, but seeing learning how there can be a meaning behind all of the creation has allowed me to appreciate his work for the art that it is. 

2. Chanel 
The epitome of class and legends. Coco Chanel innovated the beauty and fashion industry one shade of lipstick and line of pearls at a time. Chanel is currently one of the most exclusive brands in the entire world. If you were to bring it a store front the associates could not tell you whether it was real or not. Chanel is like a fine wine, only getting better with time. She lived a life according to her own rules and has too many famous quotes to prove it. My favorite is "A woman can be overdressed but never over elegant". Although I am no longer a full-on prepster, I still appreciate the luxury and sophistication that comes with Chanel in all of her fashion. 

3. YSL 
Fully known as Yves Saint Laurent, YSL is one of the fastest growing luxury brands since its initial founding in 1961 as a part of the Kering French Luxury Group. He was the first couturier to market his pret-a-porter line. He realized that by making his clothes a little less expensive, her would be able to reach a greater amount of clientele. I personally love YSL for their leather goods. Purses, card holders, etc. Saint Laurent is keeps the simplicity of being bold in fashion true. All designers are thought out and relevant among the changes through time.

4. Hermes
Most popularly known for the exclusive  Berkin Bag, Hermes is one of the most rare top-end brands. The best thing I love about Hermes is their accessories- the scarfs, the bracelets, and the belts. This brand is also diversifying the fashion game by having an multichannel business approach. Their website is rich in content, but limited in supply. They are able to stay exclusive both in and outside of the stores. The power of the letter "H" is universally known and respected among all levels. This luxury brand produces timeless designs and historic items. 

Designer and Luxury brands are the backbone of the fashion industry and have so much historic value in the evolution of the creation. Understanding and appreciating it is a valuable and almost necessary skill to bring style into its context. Art comes in many forms and in this case, clothes are able to show the art behind designer. 

Stay UNIQUE,
Sara Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top