One Year Two Jobs




This past weekend officially marked one year at my second job ( ie. the Rumble front desk girl). Surprisingly enough this is the longest job I've ever had. I'm not going to lie, there is a little bit of embarrassment that comes with that statement. The longest job I've had happened in the form of supplemental income in my early 20s and not the job where I am getting my primary income. Now, I have been through this parade before and comparison truly is the thief of joy. As I have been reminded, I am only 23 ( at least for another month), and there is so much more of life I will live. I am just getting started in my adult life, my financial stability, and just being on my own. 

A huge part of having this second job is because I am on my own financially- not in any sob story way, but a part of moving out in my family means paying your own way ( with the exception of health care- that stops when I am 26 thank god). Working in the fashion industry is great- it was my dream and I have achieved it in a way, but not at the price that I can actually live the life I want to. A lot of people don't understand how I am "okay" with the salary I am working on but it really goes back to basic supply and demand. There a a ton of people who want to work in the fashion industry and not a lot of job, this allows the companies ( especially the most famous ones) to create their own industry standard- usually lower than someone who works at a hedge fund. 

By the way, I don't want to work at a hedge fund. This is another thing I tell people- I don't want to do any other job, I know where my strengths and weaknesses land, so why would I do a job that I am not good at or don't like just so I can get another dollar sign to my name? Not to mention if I wasn't good or didn't like my job, I wouldn't be good at it so I probably would get fired.

Coming to the end of my tangent, I got a second job, but not just any second job. I got a job at a place I already love ( and in a state where the minimum wage is $15). Usually this is a recipe for disaster. People always tell you to never get a job at your favorite restaurant or you will never be able to eat the food again, but I have actually worked at place I've loved prior to working there before. I loved Free People and still do, but during the pandemic I worked as a sales associate in the mall. It is really about separating the art from the artist- or in this case, separating the workout from the random rude clients. 

While working two jobs,  yes I have worked seven days a week almost every week, but I also have not asked my parents for money once since moving out. I know that all I have is because of me. I bust my ass and I have fun-usually during the week because I am working on the weekend, but still it counts. I also appreciate my weekends off so much more because they are so few. 

I will say that this job has contributed to my relationship with burnout. Working 7 days a week, not being able to sleep past seven, it is exhausting and a can take time away from other things I need to do like just cleaning my room, grocery shopping, or laundry. I have started creating boundaries with both work environments and with myself. Some times I am able to take off on Sundays which is nice because I am able to go to church, read in the park, and really let myself rest. 

Remember what I said about strengths and weaknesses? Well one of my strengths are my people skills. I don't get to utilize them as much at your typical 9-5, so I am able to utilize them here! There have been so many "regulars" that I love seeing every weekend. People ask my about my life, my job, where I have been if I miss a week. It definitely makes the job a lot better to see people who have become friends. Not to mention the other trainers and coordinators, I have met so many cool people through this job!  I am thankful for the job that lets me do the fun things that makes living in the city so worth it and am proud of myself for doing whatever I need to do to make my dreams come true!


***

Stay UNIQUE,

Sara Anne



No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top