The Value of a Night Routine




A common version of which came first the chicken or the egg- day or night? 

For so long we have been emphasizing the importance of a solid morning routine. Setting the foundation for the day. Eating what is commonly referred to as "the most important meal of the day". Getting ready for what lies ahead. But what about that happens the night before? Does that not contribute to the success of the following day? I have noticed that going to bed with as little anxiety as possible will help contribute to my anxiety levels to the following day. Our lives are not as simple as start and stop. It's a ~flow~

We put so much pressure on starting the day as efficiently as possible and checking every boxing in the morning routine and then by the end of the day we are so burnt out we don't invest any time into recovering so we can do it all again. I have been learning (primarily through burnout), how important it is to put just as much effort into my night time routine as I do my morning routine ( or at least a little bit more effort) . There is a form of self care that can take place in winding up- which is seen in the morning routine, and a form of self care that can take place in winding down- which is seen in the night routine. Today I am going to be talking about some ways I build out my night time routine starting at ground zero.
***

Step 1: Candles and Pajama Sets
There is no reason why you shouldn't make your routine as luxurious as possible and that can be just some little things like a $5 cashmere candle from Target and a matching silk pajama set from Nordstrom Rack. I was never allowed to light candles in my room when I was a kid, so it feels like a real adult treat to be able to do it as I get ready for bed!  Luxury is a feeling and a state of mind- not a thing. Invest in things that make you feel more put together or that will just make you feel like your best version of yourself. If that means an oversized t-shirt and no pants, live your truth! For me, I like wearing matching sets because it is like a new outfit!


Step 2: Skincare

This was a natural step when building out a night routine because I already have a skincare routine set out. I went through a deep dive on my skin care routine on my Instagram story that I saved in my highlights (@uniquely_sara_anne- if you want to find out what product I use) and my skin care routine has become something that I genuinely look forward to. It makes me feel clean. It makes me feel relaxed and it sends a message to my head that I am about to go to sleep. 


Step 3: Drink Water or Tea

Obviously staying hydrated is important through out the day but drinking water at night helps you get a head start on the next day because there is nothing worse than waking up thirsty.  Also it helps you get in the morning because if you drink water before bed, you'll probably have to pee. Tea is more of a warm, relaxing drink for me and only a special treat on some nights. I have been loving this lemon ginger tea because it is caffeine free and it has probiotics in it so it helps me digest all of the food I had that day.


Step 4: Read and Melatonin

This is something I do mostly to get off of my phone and rest my eyes. I have been reading so much more in the past couple years. It is something I used to hate and now something I that I look forward to. A form of escape. Adding in some melatonin to the mix really helps my mind slow down and relax. Not only does melatonin help me get to sleep faster but it helps me stay asleep. I will say, I take it sparingly because sometimes it makes it hard to wake up in the morning but I have never felt more rested. 


Step 5: Pillow Mist and Weight Eye Mask
 Start with luxury and end with luxury. I got a weighted eye mask for my birthday last year and it is the best thing that has happened to me. It literally just rests over your eyes and it has the same benefits of a weighted blanket in the way that it helps with anxiety. Sometimes I even rest it over my chest to calm me down after some of my more stressful days. I also recently added a lavender pillow mist to my routine. I literally bought a spray container from amazon for like $7 and the aromatherapy of it all immediately relaxes me and gives the finishing touches of setting me off to bed. 

I hope these tips and tricks help you invest in your future self. Recovering now can help us better prepare for tomorrow! Who says we have to wait until the morning to do something for our day?

***
Stay UNIQUE,
Sara Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top