I Tried Different Workout Classes in NYC




One of the things New York is known for is its vast variety of boutique workout classes. It is amazing to see what people are willing to pay for in the name of movement. I have always been interested in health, wellness, and working out, so being in New York is like being a kid in a candy shop. With all of these options available to anyone who has a credit card, it is easy to get overwhelmed or spend too much money on classes that aren't even worth it ( that is what I am here for). For the past four month, I have taken a multitude of workout classes, trying to find which ones are the most bang for your bucket- not just financially, but the perks, the aesthetic, and the movement itself. This is going to be part one of this series because there are still other classes I want to try to take and review for you all! I hope this helps you get a sneak peak into which movement you choose to do next!

*** 

Rumble Boxing

Obviously I had to start with this one- for those of you who don't know, I work at a Rumble studio as a side hustle because ya girl is broke. That does not take away from anything I am about to say. I have been doing Rumble since 2019 and it is one of the most fun workouts I've done. If you're not familiar, it is part boxing and part strength training. I never thought I was "strong enough" or "cool enough" to do boxing but honestly, no movement is better than the other. Once I let myself believe that, I felt like such a badass in class. Your instructor will build different punching combinations while on the bag side and while on the floor side, you will do different circuits focusing on different muscle groups ( ie. legs, arms, abs). There is no weight requirement and it is very beginner friendly. There is a $3 glove rental but you are more than welcome to bring your own if you have them. There is also a one-time purchase of hand wraps for $8 (again you can bring your own if you already have them). There are showers with Dry Bar products and various body products in the locker rooms. This is very worker friendly (ie. going to or coming from work). They have an intro buy one get one available for $38 and Rumble is also available on Class Pass.

Final Rating: 4/5


Barre 3

I used to love Barre 3 when I was in college and it honestly is one of my favorite low intensity forms of working out. In New York there are two Barre 3 locations, one in Brooklyn and one in West Village. Obviously I went to the West Village location because I love the West Village and also because it was a closer option. The location in the West Village is only moments from American Bar and over looked this beautiful flower shop. The people were so nice and it was a small but cute studio. There were no showers available or very many amenities besides cubbies to store your belongings, towels, and the class's equipment needed. The class I went to was one of their community classes that they have every now and then. This classes are open to anyone whether you are a member or non-member for only $5! This is an insane price for any workout class anywhere let alone New York City! 

Final Rating: 3/ 5 Stars 


Gramercy Pilates

I have never done a pilates workout on the reformer machine until now. Gramercy Pilates is a place I discovered through a couple different influencers from TikTok. I was a little nervous about going to class because it is no bigger than 10 people in each class, but while I was in class, I noticed how helpful it was that the class was so small. The instructor was able to correct your form and talk you through all of the different movements. In terms of sweat level, this was another low intensity class and I only broke a sweat a couple times through out the process. I will say the movements do require a lot more focus because you are activating certain muscles at a time. Again, not many amenities beside the necessities (ie. no showers or products to use before or after class). I will say this is also more on the pricier side- your first class is $28 which is pretty good but after that, it can definitely rack up the cash. This studio is also available through Class Pass. 

Final Rating: 3.5/5 Stars


Mind Body Project

This fitness studio- I was shocked with how much I loved it! First of all the general aesthetic is so calming. They have Dyson hair dryers and various beauty products if you need to take a shower. I will say there is no explicit guys and girls bathroom, so completely up to your comfort level. The class itself if what I am obsessed with the most! You start out with 5 minutes of breathe work and meditation, followed by 40 minutes of HIIT ( high intensity interval training), and finishing with 5 minutes of meditation. Also in the middle of the HIIT you do a minute of breathing which helps you stay intentional and effective in your movements. It is rare to find a workout studio who puts this much emphasis in intentional movement outside of your standard yoga studio and it was so refreshing. Your first class they have a Buy One, Get One deal for $34 which is pretty standard across the intro packages for New York Fitness. I would definitely recommend going at least for the intro pack! 

Final Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

 

Heatwise Yoga

This is a workout I was able to do for free since I work at Rumble (we are able to access some other studios near our area and vice versa) and honestly it was such a vibe . I haven't done hot yoga in literally like four years and I forgot how hot it actually gets. I was dripping by the end of it but doing yoga in the heat made all of the stretches so much deeper so it felt great! It doesn't get too crowded because the class is only 20 people. You can bring your own mat or rent their's and they greet you at the end of class with Eucalyptus Towels which are so refreshing!

Final Rating: 4/5 Stars


Where do you want me to review next?

***

Stay UNIQUE,

Sara Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top