Met Gala Review- Sara Anne's Top 5 Hits and Misses



 The mother-freaking Met Gala is back!!!!


Usually known as the First Monday of May, this event is the pinnacle of fashion and art- only makes sense to be the bookend of NYFW 2021. This Met Gala is a little different from previous years because it is the first of a two part event. The theme this year was "In America: A Lexicon of Fashion", representing the relevancy and power of American Fashion. I was very interested to see how it was going to turn out given how the world has been in the past couple of years. This Met Gala is also a little different because of the co-chairs leading it: Billie Eilish, Naomi Osaka, Timothee Chalamet, and Amanda Gourmet. A singer, an athlete, an actor, and a poet. The other regular co-chairs include the classic and iconic Anna Wintor, editor-in-chief at Conde Nast, Adam Mossari, chief executive of Instagram, and Tom Ford. 


Basically how the night works is the designers choose people they want to dress and this helps determine the guest list. The designers create ensembles based on their interpretation of the theme. Fun Fact: tickets cost about $30,000. Literally college tuition. This year, the invite list has gotten to be a lot younger including Emma Chamberlin and Addison Rae. Influencers entering the fashion scene, specifically the fashion week-type event has become a very controversial concept. I feel like of all people these two make sense to be invited! 


Personally, I was very underwhelmed with the night's looks. There were some that really blew me away but I feel like not many looks understood the theme and a lot were just for show. I feel like there were a lot of missed opportunities and for this to be the first one back since 2019, I feel like there was so much pent up energy around the event in general. Truly nothing will be the 2018 Met Gala looks. 

ANYWAYS, enough of the backstory- lets get into the looks of the night!

***

HITS


Kendall Jenner in Givenchy 

STUNNING! Literally one of my favorite looks of the night! She took inspiration from Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady and who is more American than the Hollywood Icon herself. Audrey did a lot of partnerships with Givenchy, so it just makes sense that they would be the designer of this look. Obviously they modernized it a little, but I think it is absolutely gorgeous. 



Normani in Valentino

In her interview she said she was going for "Black Girl Excellence" and specifically chose the color yellow because it "pops on darker skin". I think this look is so elegant and very well done! 



Barbie Ferreria in Jonathan Simkhai

This reminds me a lot of the Roaring 20s- very American- and pearls just bring a natural level of class to the ensemble. It is show-stopping without being in your face! 



Storm Reid in Prada

The colors are gorgeous on her and she uses a lot of visual elements like the feathers and the movement of her cape, but they all work together to create a stunning look. Also the feather skirt was removed creating a short little number for the rest of her walk up The Met steps.



Karlie Kloss in Carolina Herrera 

A BOMBSHELL LOOK. The color red being an American color of course, but also a very empowering color for women to wear. I am obsessed with the cute of the dress and the neckline is absolutely breathtaking. She looks fabulous! 



MISSES


Frank Ocean's Baby Doll Look

I literally was so confused by this and the message he was trying to present. Just weird vibes.



Simone Biles' Silver Look

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE SIMONE, but this look appeared as uncomfortable and an inconvenience. I also just didn't like the pairing with the blue bodysuit underneath.



Madison Beer's 2016 Prom Dress

I said what I said. This looks very much in line with what some of my friend wore to our senior prom which I guess is American, but still is a no from me. 



Kim Petras as a Horse Girl

Truly what is more American than being a Horse Girl? But there is a difference between liking horses and literally having one on your chest. This looks very tacky in my opinion and just like you're trying too hard to stand out. 



Kacey Musgraves giving BORED

This hurts because I truly love Kacey with all of my heart but she did such a great job at the 2019 Met with her Barbie look that this is just such a let down. It is too simple for the Met Gala and with all of buzz with the divorce and her new album, she had such an opportunity to just slay it!

***

Stay UNIQUE,

Sara Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top