A DAY AT THE MUSEUM

 





It is officially winter and that does not mean that we just stop doing things. Like anything in life, we adapt, and today I will be sharing with you all my favorite winter activity ( technically you can do this whenever you want, but it is inside so definitely an option for winter)- MUSEUMS! I have always loved museums and over time I have specifically loved art museums. Get dressed up, go out to a museum by yourself, on a date, or with your best friend! My personal favorite is getting dressed up in a polished, but fun look, going to a museum and listen to jazz music. Finish it off with a nice seafood dinner and some red wine. Literally my idea of a perfect day!

I am originally from DC so I am used to having access to pretty much any museum for free, but moving to New York you have to give a little to get a little. Don't get me wrong, there are some where you can show proof of residency or getting a Library Card Culture Pass, but a lot of times you have to pay an entry fee. Either way, you get to see some of the coolest things and thats what I want to emphasize today and show you some of the coolest museums I have been to so far!!


***

The MET

You can't write a piece about museums and not include the Met. Whether you hear about it from Gossip Girl, the infamous Met Gala, or you just know it from being a household name, this museum is a landmark of the city. You can go for the classic Monets, or the newest exhibit in Costume Institute. There is something for everyone from all over the world and different periods of time. I went on a New York snow day and it just felt like a scene out of a movie. It leaves me breathless every time I go and now that I live in New York, I can get in for essentially free (**you decided how much you want to donate- it could be $0.05 or $500)


Fotografiska

This was a museum that my friend introduced to me and now I am obsessed with it. Mainly dedicated to photographers, this four level museum dedicates each floor to a certain artist or group of artists and is constantly changing throughout the year. We went to an exhibit on Andy Warhol who I was very excited about because of his work within the fashion industry! They do a great job of giving you the background of what the inspiration of the shots were as well as information about the actual artist. This one we had to pay for, but it was definitely worth it!


The Brooklyn Museum

In full transparency, I have not been here yet, but I am looking to go in the next month because I want to go to the Dior exhibit before it closes! This is a museum you are able to access for free if you have a Library Card/ Culture Pass. There are so many other amazing things to see in the Brooklyn Museum besides the Dior exhibit, so no matter when you go, you are sure to see something great! Just a reminder, there are five boroughs in New York City- not everything in the world is in Manhattan. I am trying to make more of an effort to explore more of the other boroughs!! 


The 9/11 Museum and Tribute

I recently went to this museum with my best friends when they were in town and it was unbelievable. Obviously, 9/11 was a huge tragedy in the nation and especially in New York. This it hit different because I was a resident and because it was the 20th anniversary of the event. The museum does charge admission, but does an incredible job of telling you the full story of the terrorist attack- not to mention it is in the same area where the attack actually happened. It takes you through the timeline of the morning, the impacts it had post- attack and even shows you the events that led up to the attack and the rise of ISIS. They show the stories of the victims and even display various items the victims had at their desk or memorabilia. It is very emotional, but very very well done!


The American Museum of Natural History

Does Night at the Museum ring a bell? This is another museum on my list because it is so iconic! This is perfect for someone who may want other options than art. It also is free to New York residents ( with the same program as the Met). It also is a registered COVID vaccination site for anyone ages 5 or older, so there really is no reason not to go!

***

If you have any other things or places you need recommendations to in the city, let me know!

Stay UNIQUE,

Sara Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top