Book Recommendations to Learn About the Fashion Industry




Quarantine has truly opened my eyes to the wide world of reading. I was never into reading when I was a kid and even now I have to plan our time in my day to read. It is just not my first choice of activity to do when I am bored. Since the beginning of all of this, I have tried using this time to grow and educate myself  on my passions, first being the fashion industry. I learned that it was much easier to read and stay invested in a book when it was about things that I already liked (duh?). As pass the 100 day mark of quarantine, I thought I would show you guys some books I have loved and learned from!
***
Making It in Manhattan: The Beginner's Guide to Surviving & Thriving in the World of Fashion
Making It in Manhattan
This BOOK!! One of the first "fashion" books I read way back in March. It was the coolest book! It follows Caroline Vazzana, a fashion editor and stylist in New York and how she got to where she it today. Personally, I love these types of books because I want to learn all of their secrets and these books always have the most actionable pieces of advice. It was about 200 pages and I literally read it all in a span of 3 hours because I was so bought in!!

This is Not a Fashion Story: Taking Chances, Breaking Rules, and Being a Boss in the Big City
This is Not a Fashion Story 
Another BANGIN book!!! Very similar to the previous book, Danielle Bernstein, takes you through how she became the international influencer and CEO or WeWoreWhat that she is today. This goes beyond the specific fashion industry, but takes you through her entire life and lessons shes learned along the way. This book is so motivating and inspiring to want to hustle hard. I would 1000/10 recommend this book, especially with the rise of social media use and the influencer field. 

When Life Gives You Lululemons
When Life Gives You Lululemons
This is more of a novel. A spin-off from The Devil Wears Prada, this book is real and fun and an easy read. The story is fast-paced, funny, and exposes the balance between relationships, careers and family. 

The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever
The End of Fashion 
I am currently reading this book right now and I love it because it shows how the fashion industry has transformed from something exclusively to the elite to marketing for the masses. It goes into all things that make up the fashion industry such as retailing, licensing, and manufacturing and shows all of the details in the transition.

The Knockoff: A Novel - Kindle edition by Sykes, Lucy, Piazza, Jo ...
The Knockoff
Another novel for your fancy, this one talks about a fashion magazine company that is shifting to digital. The Knockoff is the story of Imogen Tate, editor in chief of Glossy magazine, who finds her 20-something former assistant Eve Morton plotting to knock Imogen off her pedestal, take over her job, and reduce the magazine, famous for its lavish 768-page September issue, into an app. I am in the middle of reading this book as well but it is very witty and interesting to see how they adjust to the shift.

Champagne Supernovas: Kate Moss, Marc Jacobs, Alexander McQueen, and the '90s Renegades Who Remade Fashion
Champagne Supernovas
Probably one of the most educational books so far. This book gives you an up close look following the fashion and style influences of the 90s: Kate Moss, Alexander McQueen, and Marc Jacobs. It shows you the rise to popularity and struggles each of them faced when alternative became the mainstream. I liked this book to see how the designers I love today have grown to be what they are!

What books have you guys been reading?
***
Stay UNIQUE,
Sara Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top