Looking Back: The Best and Worst of 2020 Fashion



Hey Everyone!

I wanted to finish up my reflection on the year so this will be the last hoorah of 2020! 2020 started out as a year for the fashion hopefuls; it felt like anything was in our grasps and when Covid-19 hit, comfort clothes became the new business casual. When the year entered its second half, "regular" clothes started coming back as people had more places open up to go to. Today's post will be a recap of my personal list of best and worst trends I noticed in the year. I know the one man's trash is another man's treasure, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. With that being said I hope you still enjoy my witty commentary and cute charm ( a humble writer I am). And as I have learned, hindsight is 2020 (wink wink)!

Enjoy!

***

 Bests

 Colorful Leather

If I have not already made it clear, I am a huge texture girl and leathers are such an easy go to. This year leather takes a new form by adding pink, purple, blue, and green to the traditional black leather jacket. This also takes effect for leather pants, skirts, handbags, and shoes. I am all for adding a pop of color to my wardrobe and this route makes the look effortlessly elevated. 

Squared Toed Heels

I feel like the "high heel" look evolved in so many ways this year, but specifically the square toed heel takes the cake as my favorite. It is crazy how a small change can completely remodel a shoe! These heels were reaching their peak exposure in the summer but steadily kept their popularity during the fall as well. In any color, patent leather or suede, these shoes were at the top of my list for a sophisticated, modern look.

Straight Legged Jeans

The theme of 2020 for fashion was relaxed and that was shown in denim. The straight legged jeans strayed away from the exact silhouette that skinny jeans brought us a couple years ago. I am not going to lie, I was a little reluctant to give into this trend just because I didn't think the straight legged jeans were flattering on me, but I got a pair from Zara that changed my life and now they are my favorite pair of pants. I think this cut of pants will continue in 2021 with different textiles added into the mix!

Chained Necklaces

For jewelry, we have learned that simpler is better. Chains bring jewelry back to their roots. It is easy to layer with the different lengths and gives you an opportunity to mix metals (something I think more people should be less afraid of). I talked about chains in one of my trend posts in the summer (shameless plug) and I think they are almost style-neutral- meaning they don't fit in a niche type of style. I think you can pair chains with a dress, a graphic tees, or an oversized sweater. 

Matching Sweat Suits

The best part of 2020 was the normalization of loungewear. Whether it is from Etsy or Zara, these sweat suits are accessible virtually everywhere. You can mix and match or go for a monochromatic look. The best trends are the ones that don't have to be followed completely in a straight line. I expect with WFH fully being alive and well, this trend will continued with different colors coming into the pictures. 


Worsts

Skinny Jeans

I say this with partial remorse because I love my Hollister skinny jeans, but being in the fashion industry means evolving with the times. So out with the old and in with the new. Skinny jeans are leaving because the Mom Jeans are coming back in the picture- the 90's live on. Also, when people do not cuff their jeans at the ankle, it can make for a tragic fashion faux pas.

Chunky Sneakers

Personally, I was never on the "Chunky Filas" train. I feel like the shoes are way too bulky. While I do think that sneakers are making a huge lifestyle presence in the industry, I am not a fan of this type. I think there is a lot more room for other shoes. 

Corset 

While this trend was a hot choice item, now it is just becoming a little unreasonable. I love being able to dress things up but not to the point when I can not breathe or bend over. I can appreciate it when it is done right, but it is definitely not one of my personal favorites. 

Oversized Collars

In 2020 there was no reason to wear a collard shirt. What were you doing that you needed to look that professional? The oversized collar and peter pan collared look is going to be retired because people are realizing that casual is accepted in the work place. Working from home has had a bigger impact on fashion trends than people realize. Everyone wants to be comfortable now and the oversized collar is simple a look that is out of use.

Crochet 

I think crochet has the opportunity to grow and become more of a show stopping trend, but this year it just wasn't worthwhile. I think that the "down home on the prairie" look was definitely alive and well, but the thing about crochet is it can easily be poorly done. I don't like the risk of buying things that are cheaply made and I don't think you do either.

***

Stay UNIQUE,

Sara Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top